Ethics are not the most popular content to discuss in a pressroom, but always requires a good solution to minimize the harm caused by the controversy. This blog throughout the semester will discuss some interesting cases of ethics in the communications business and explore some good solutions based on reading materials to provide stronger arguments to bring the best solution in a communication environment.
As a typical Brazilian my passion for soccer is not a secret, nor a surprise to anyone that knows me. Beside my passion for soccer, in the last few years I found out a new passion, the journalism, then I decided to connect both passions and make one happy and satisfying career: sports journalism. As any other career in the planet, sports journalism, also face some ethics issues throughout the history of the communications world. Some examples of the controversies found in this profession we can name some criticism, bribes, prejudice, sexual controversies, and so many others examples that we see every week on the news.
Since I'm a big soccer fan, as I already mentioned before, and the 2014 FIFA World Cup is coming up next June, I would like to use a soccer example from the past to discuss about an ethic controversy. One of the biggest sports network company known as ESPN also had to face in its history some ethics controversies. In 2006 The Walt Disney Company, owner of ESPN and ABC, decided that Dave O'Brien had to be part of the primary broadcast team for 2006 FIFA World Cup replacing JP Dellacamera.
![]() |
| Dave O'Brien (Source:http://frontrow.espn.go.com/tag/dave-obrien) |
In cases like this, the company should make sure that the announcer has enough knowledge about the sport that he would broadcast for 30 days in a role before require the broadcaster. Employers normally cannot make some decisions, getting exposed when they shouldn't, and being open to mistakes, humiliation, and others situations that put them in a not comfortable spot. The price of ESPN/The Walt Disney Company's choice was getting a reduced audience's numbers way under expectations and certainly causing a big loss of money with the company's sponsors. As the old saying says: "You don't change a winning team".
Unfortunately I couldn't find a video of 2006 FIFA World Cup broadcast, but you can read some of the references talking about this episode below:
![]() |
| Source: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2009/12/decade-in-review-10-worst-personnel/ |
![]() |
| Source: http://onthepitch.org/2006/06/27/espn-please-show-dave-obrien-a-red-card/ |
Returning to the ethics insights, I have some tools that help me in ethical decision-making: the good use of good sense, and always be transparent. This should always help anyone in any important decision, but when these tools are not enough to solve a case I would make use of some good tools found at the readings suggested based in some readings. According to Plaisance, Chapter 2, any journalist need to show credibility no matter the situation, credibility is a key value to the journalism professional. The code of ethics created by the Society of Professionals Journalists in 1996 provides a guide of how a journalist should work. Seeking the credibility the journalist should always tell the truth, working as communicators our job is to communicate the facts, and not to change them. Truth is truth and period. Another key value is respect. The journalists should always respect their sources, colleagues, authorities, audience, etc. Being respectful helps to minimize harms and helps to make a good decision. The reading also mentions to act independent and be accountable as key values to be a good professional. As journalists we create a connection to our viewers/audience. They expect our stories to tell a fact with truth, respect, honesty, being as engaging as possible.
Ethics involves a lot more than the case I mentioned earlier, I know that there are so many different cases in this area that could be good examples to learn about ethical decisions, and I really look forward to learn more about ethical controversies in sports journalism and broadcast during this semester. I'm sure this class will be a great way to quick off the year!



Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário